In 2013, all of us at Swedish have shown just how high quality our care is as we received more prestigious awards, designations and recognitions across many service lines.
The Mission of Swedish Medical Center is to provide compassionate, high-quality care that meets the caring and cost-effective expectations of our patients, physicians, employees and volunteers, and to preserve and strengthen the Swedish tradition of community service.
In 2013, Swedish has shown over and over again the highest quality of our services as we received more prestigious awards, designations and recognitions across many service lines. We had many monumental accreditations in our Oncology, Cardiovascular and Neuroscience services. In line with our mission, we have also taken on a community partner, Well-Fed, Inc., a grass-roots food pantry established by two Englewood moms. The employees and physicians at Swedish have dedicated their efforts to help nourish and support good health for the people of Englewood through this partnership. Swedish employees set goals for pounds of food, money and volunteer hours donated and continue to surpass those goals. We at Swedish are all proud to be part of Englewood and enjoy taking care of our community, both through generosity and quality, compassionate medical care.
Mary M. White, CEO Swedish Medical Center
- Named as one of the Top Hospitals in Colorado by the Denver Business Journal
- Recognized by the Aurora Chamber of Commerce for our quick actions and exceptional care for the patients involved in the Aurora Theater Shooting tragedy in 2012
- New Chief Nursing Officer, Shari Chavez, RN
- New Chief Medical Officer, Paul Hancock, MD
- Swedish Medical Center was selected by WomenCertified,® the voice of female patients, as a recipient of the Women’s Choice Award for Best in Heart Care. We were selected based on our record with regard to treatment of heart attacks and heart failure as well as our patient satisfaction scores. We will be recognized in an upcoming edition of U.S. News & World Report.
- Swedish Medical Center has been named a “Best Hospital” and will be featured in the Best Hospitals 2013-2014 Edition of U.S. News & World Report. The designation comes from Midwestern University faculty, students and staff for our exceptional health care professionals that are helping train the next generation of competent, caring professionals.
- Swedish Medical Center was recognized for our participation in the Hospital Engagement Network over the past two years. The focus was on quality measures and the improvements we made while participating in this national project helped to avoid harm for our patients as well as reduce healthcare costs.
- Have the fastest growing Deep Brain Stimulation program in the state
- Comprehensive Stroke Center designation from Joint Commission
- Added 12 telemedicine sites to the CO-DOC network for a total of 39
- Purchased new Continuous Electroencephalography (cEEG) equipment for our Neuro Critical Care Unit to provide constant assessment of brain function in critically ill, obtunded and comatose patients
- American Academy of Sleep Medicine five-year certification for the Sleep Center
- Level 4 designation for our EMU (Epilepsy Monitoring Unit)
- Continue to treat more brains than any other neuro center (CHA data, neurology/neurosurgery/stroke discharges combined). Grew our neuro market share by two percent.
- Opened 5th Interventional Neuro Radiology suite
- Added Neurooncologist, Dr. Michael Pearlman, to campus
- Added Neurocritical Care physician, Dr. Chamisa MacIndoe
- Approved for Neuro Hospital Expansion Plan
- HealthGrades: Recipient of the Neurosurgery Excellence Award for third year in a row
- HealthGrades: Ranked among the top five percent in the Nation for Neurosurgery
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Neurosurgery for third year in a row
- #1 Neurology Market Share in the Denver Metro Area
- #1 Stroke Market Share in the Denver Metro Area
- Received full accreditation from the National Accreditation Program for Breast Centers (NAPBC)
- Joint Commission disease specific certification for Lung Cancer – fifth in the country to receive this designation
- Joint Commission disease specific certification for Pancreatic Cancer – third in the country to receive this designation
- Commission On Cancer Gold Level, three-year accreditation
- American Heart Association ACTION Registry -Get With The Guidelines 2013 Platinum recognition
- American Heart Association Get With The Guidelines Heart Failure Gold recognition status
- Society of Cardiovascular Patient Care Accredited Chest Pain Center with Percutaneous Coronary Intervention
- The Joint Commission Certification Coronary Artery Disease – only accredited hospital in the state
- The Joint Commission Advanced Certification of Advanced Heart Failure – only accredited hospital inthe state
- Coronary Artery Bypass Grafting disease specific accreditation – one of only three hospitals in the nation with this accreditation
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Heart Failure for third year in a row
- Mission: Lifeline Gold Recognition Status
L&D and Family Care
- New Patient Care Director Labor and Delivery and Family Care Unit, Lisa Holtzclaw
- Increased delivery volume by three percent over 2012
- Major equipment purchased in 2013 for Labor and Delivery included:
- New Fetal Monitor Machines
- New Labor Beds
- New Infant Warmers
- Major equipment purchased in 2013 for Perinatal Resource Center: 2 new state-of-the-art ultrasound machines for new benchmark imaging
- Construction project for Family Care Unit began in 2013 with anticipated completion date of July 2014
- Submitted our letter of intent for Baby Friendly status through United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit/ Pediatric Unit
- Newly renovated pediatric unit
- Hospitalist group to cover pediatric unit
- Implemented Pediatric Early Warning Score (PEWS) for pediatric emergency warning
- Certified trauma Pediatric Intensive Care Unit
- Implementation of comprehensive Diabetic Ketoacidosis Treatment (DKA) protocol
- Purchased bedside blood lab testing
- New Pediatric Intensive Care Unit Intensivist Medical Director, Carlos Barajas, MD
- Bought four Giraffe isolettes for our preemie babies
- Implemented family-centered care involving parents in the hands-on care for their children
- Increased our rate of breastfeeding to over 75 percent exclusive
- Developed and implemented developmental care guidelines for premature babies
- Started new Diaphragm Pacing procedure for ALS patients
- Lonnie Martinez, Director of Respiratory Therapy, named a Peak Performer by his colleagues at the Rocky Mountain Hospital Medicine Symposium.
- Developed and launched a comprehensive inpatient smoking cessation program
- Developed and launched a Rigid Bronchoscopy Program for patients with airway obstructions
- Developed and launched a High Altitude Simulation Testing Program for patients with chronic lung disease
- HealthGrades: Recipient of the Pulmonary Care Excellence Award.™
- HealthGrades: Ranked Among the top 10 percent in the nation for overall pulmonary services
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Pneumonia for second year in a row
- Dean Dyk, Director of Pastoral Care, was elected to receive the Emerging Leader Award by the ACPE South Central Region Council, recognizing him as a 2012 Emerging Leader, his leadership within ACPE, serving on Accreditation, presently serving on Certification, and on the National Board of Directors of the ACPE since 2011.
Emergency Medical Services
- Dennis Edgerly, HealthONE EMS Paramedic Education Coordinator received the National Association of EMS Educators' Unsung Hero Award. This award is given to someone who, although not nationally known, makes an incredible difference in the lives of those he or she teaches. This individual is nominated by peers, students and colleagues in appreciation of his or her dedication to EMS education.
- Developed and launched the Computed Tomography (CT) Direct Stroke Launch Pad program. Neurologists meet EMS at the Emergency Room doors, evaluate the patient and take them directly up for a CT scan, providing better patient outcomes.
- Graduated 100th Paramedic Class in December.
- Jacqueline McClintic received the APPE Preceptor Institutional Pharmacy Award given by the Office of Experiential Education and Regis University of Pharmacy.
- Fred Glogievicz, Director of Pharmacy, Jackie McClintic, PharmD, Clinical Supervisor, Pharmacy Dave Park, RPh, IT Coordinator, Pharmacy were named Peak Performers by their colleagues at the Rocky Mountain Hospital Medicine Symposium.
- The Progress Mobility Standard of Care went live in the CCU in August (PT/OT Early Mobilization)
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Treatment of Sepsis for second year in a row
- Blue Cross Blue Shield – Blue Distinction Quality Excellence. The designation signifies that our facility has met nationally established quality care and outcomes criteria developed with input from the medical community.
- HealthGrades: Recipient of the Gynecologic Surgery Excellence Award™ for third year in a row
- HealthGrades: Recognized for Superior Performance in Gynecologic Surgery
- HealthGrades: Among top five percent of Hospitals Evaluated For Gynecologic Surgery
- HealthGrades: Five-Star Recipient for Gynecologic Surgery for third year in a row
- HCA President’s Award received for quality patient care and increased volume
- New Assistant Vice President, David Alexander
- Increased surgical volume by nine percent
- Major equipment purchased in 2013 for Surgery included:
- New daVinci Robot purchase for Main OR
- Upgraded OR #7 to an Integrated OR with Storz system & Skytron lights
- Storz Cysto Table image and printer upgrades for Urology service
- New Surgical lights in 5 ORs
- Dornoch evacuation system for OR suites
- Triad Cautery machines for OR suites
- New Anesthesia machines
- Remodeled the Surgery waiting room
- Technology integration in four of our operating rooms
- Splint Competency for Occupational Therapists
- Modified Ranking Scale training for all staff on stroke patients
- Cognitive Performance Testing training for Occupational Therapists
- Swedish Acute Rehab ranked fifth in HCA for quality outcomes
- HCAHPS Discharge planning
- Implemented many new regulatory practices around the Affordable Care Act