Why Choose Swedish for Stroke Care?
We treat stroke patients every day...
As a matter of fact, we see more stroke patients than any other hospital in Colorado.
Swedish stands out among other hospitals by offering comprehensive services at its Stroke Center. Why should you, your family and your neighbors say, "Take me to Swedish" if you experience stroke symptoms?
1. Our dedicated Stroke Team meets stroke patients coming by ambulance at the door. When know a stroke patient is on the way, a "Stroke Alert" is issued so that the stroke alert team, including a neurologist and dedicated stroke nurse practitioner can assess patients and begin appropriate treatment right away.
2. We work with EMS providers across the metro area. When they know they have a potential stroke patient they are bringing to Swedish, they call us so that we can activate "Stroke Alert" and be waiting for the patient.
3. The hospital's progressive interventional radiology department - Swedish offers 24/7 coverage by an interventional neuroradiologist.
4. A dedicated AirLife stroke air transport team.
5. Swedish's partnership with the Colorado Neurological Institute (CNI) to provide outreach programs, education and rehabilitation services.
- active engagement in clinical trials
- acute stroke care for rural communities in collaboration with CNI through a unique telemedicine program
- opportunity to participate in the Stroke PROTECT Program. The program provides guidance and resources to patients who have had a stroke to help prevent another stroke from occurring.
6. Nursing staff members have specialized level of certification just for stroke care.
7. Swedish is one of the few hospitals in the state using Penumbra. Penumbra is a new device that helps remove blood clots from the brain. Swedish also participated in the clinical trials for Penumbra.
8. Swedish's distinctive rehabilitation unit, which specializes in acute neurological, stroke and trauma rehab services.
9. Swedish is the first hospital in Colorado to be three-times certified by the Joint Commission, as a premier provider of stroke care. Swedish also is the first facility in the state and Rocky Mountain Region to be named a Comprehensive Stroke Center by the Joint Commission.
10. The CO-DOC program that uses telemedicine to deliver expert stroke diagnosis and treatment to stroke patients throughout Colorado.
From our patients...
"The one thing that amazed me was once I arrived at Swedish Medical Center, it didn’t take more than five minutes for the stroke team to know what to do. I remember thinking, this is how my life is going to be from now on, but with the quick thinking and excellent care, I woke up several hours later completely normal! I feel so thankful for the great staff here at Swedish."
- Jeff, 46-year-old stroke patient