Specialty Trauma Teams at Swedish Medical Center
Orthopedic and Pelvic Trauma Teams: Serving Swedish for More Than 30 Years
Our team of specially trained orthopedic surgeons is available for patients with injuries that include orthopedic or pelvic trauma. These surgeons specialize in managing patients who have complex injuries and fractures as part of a trauma. A panel of board-certified and board-eligible physicians is available 24 hours per day to treat patients with:
- High-energy musculoskeletal injuries: Significant damage to the muscular or skeletal system, such as broken bones or open wounds through an auto-accident, fall or something similar
- Fractures in polytrauma patients: Broken bones in patients who have experienced multiple traumas, such as head injury in addition to a broken bone
- Intra-articular fractures: Broken bones that are situated in the joint space, making the lasting complications potentially much more significant
- Complex pelvic and acetabular fractures: Broken hip/hip socket
- Geriatric fracture: Broken bones in the elderly
Facial Trauma Panel: A Multidisciplinary Approach
By taking a multidisciplinary approach to both hard and soft tissue facial injuries, the surgeons on Swedish Medical Center's Facial Trauma Panel share their strengths in each of their individual specialties. The result is that patients are assured the best possible treatment for their specific type of injury. On call 24 hours a day, the team includes board-certified physicians representing the following disciplines:
- Oral and maxillofacial surgery
- Plastic surgery
- ENT surgery
- Occuloplastic surgery
Pediatrics: Special Care for Kids
The benefits of a Level I Trauma Center extend to even our youngest patients. From the Emergency Department to the Critical Care Unit and pediatric surgery, the pediatric team works together closely to provide the same level of experienced trauma care our adult patients receive. Our dedication to trauma care for our youngest patients was validated when Swedish Medical Center was the first hospital in the nation to receive Pediatric Commitment verification for its trauma care.
Unique to our program is a dedicated pediatric trauma room that is specifically designed and equipped for children. In addition, Swedish's pediatric intensive care team is on call around the clock. The team is supported by the finest pediatric subspecialists in Colorado. Pediatric surgeons are on call 24 hours a day in order to fulfill the needs of pediatric patients. These physicians are recognized leaders in such fields as cardiology, neurology and endocrinology, and provide all the back-up necessary to treat children, even those with the most complex of injuries.
Expert Care for the Entire Family
As a comprehensive Trauma Center offering the highest level of treatment for both adult and pediatric injuries, Swedish has the unique ability to keep families involved in a traumatic incident together in one facility.