Pronounced: Lie-poe-suck-shunEn Español (Spanish Version)
Liposuction is an elective surgical procedure. It reshapes the body through the removal of excess body fat.
Liposuction of the Abdomen
Copyright © Nucleus Medical Media, Inc.
Some common reasons for choosing to have liposuction include:
- Reshaping the body so that it is more in tune with an individual’s ideal body image
- Removing unwanted fat pockets that could not be lost with diet and exercise
- Boosting self-confidence and feelings about appearance
- Reducing the chest size of males suffering from gynecomastia (enlarged breasts)
- Removing fatty deposits known as lipomas
Last reviewedSeptember 2012by Marcin Chwistek, MD
Please be aware that this information is provided to supplement the care provided by your physician. It is neither intended nor implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice. CALL YOUR HEALTHCARE PROVIDER IMMEDIATELY IF YOU THINK YOU MAY HAVE A MEDICAL EMERGENCY. Always seek the advice of your physician or other qualified health provider prior to starting any new treatment or with any questions you may have regarding a medical condition.